The easy and quick method of cleaning animal house is with liberal use of tap water, proper lifting and disposal of all dung and used straw bedding, and providing drainage for complete removal of liquid waste and urine. The daily removal of feed and fodder left over in the manger reduces the fly nuisance. Following points should be kept in mind regarding sanitation and hygiene of animal house:
- Also arrange Feet Dip and Hand Wash with disinfectant at main gate
- Spread Calcium carbonate at the entrance of shed area to disinfect the shoes of staff.
- Entry of workers of other farms should be avoided.
- Dry dusting/sweeping is not recommended; dust will stay hanging in air and later on settle down. So moisten the area then sweep.
- Remove dung and used bedding completely. Construct manure pit for proper handling of manure.
- Avoid spilling of dung and used bedding while carrying it out.
- Avoid the use of dirty water in cleaning the sheds.
- Never put the fresh fodder over the previous day’s left over fodder in the manger/feeding table.
We must have to observe quarantine to observe hygiene:
- Keep sick animals separate for at least three weeks and then mixed into shed
- Do not exchange breeding stocks with other farms
- Avoid stray dogs as they play important role in disease spreading
- Keep the environment healthy by using disinfectants and antiseptics
Ticks are economically important in cattle and livestock species. These are vectors for parasites like babeisia, theileria, anaplasma.
- Housing of animals in tick proof buildings. Cracks and crevices are big source of ticks. For this purpose caulking of wall and roof should be done.
- Herbage and wastage of farm (dung) should be burned slowly as ticks are killed by smoke.
- Manual removal of ticks. But do not twist it in hand because it causes Crimean Cango Hemorrhagic Fever in humans. Always remove ticks with forceps in anti-clock wise direction.
- Clearance of vegetation.
- Use of Acaricides, in the form of dip, injection, pour on, ear tags etc.